North Elmham, Norfolk
Elmham, North, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wensum, 5 miles N from East Dereham, and has a station on the G.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dereham, of the name of Elmham. Supposed to date from the Roman times, it was the seat of one of the two bishoprics of East Anglia from G73 to 1075, when the bishopric was removed to Thetford. Acreage of parish, 4743; population, 1103. The manor continued to belong to the bishops of Norwich, the successors of the bishops of Elmham and Thetford till the time of Henry VIII., and it retains some traces of the episcopal castle. Elmham Hall is a mansion of red brick, standing in a well-wooded park of 300 acres. It is the property of Earl Sondes. About 1½ mile from Elmham station and about one-fourth of a mile from County School station stands the Norfolk County School, which was opened in 1874. The buildings are in the Domestic Gothic style, and there is a chapel of flint in the Early English style, built in 1883. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £288 in the gift of Earl Sondes. The church was rebuilt by Herbert, the first bishop of Norwich, is cruciform, has a lofty tower and slender spire, contains some fine monuments, and is in substantial condition. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Elmham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Mitford and Launditch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Elmham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Elmham, North (St. Mary))
Online maps of North Elmham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.