Neatishead, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands 1½ mile N of the river Bure, 3½ miles NE from Wroxham station on the Norwich and Cromer branch of the G.E.R., and 10½ NE of Norwich. It has a post and money order office under Norwich; telegraph office, Wroxham. The parish comprises 1907 acres; population, 545. The manor formerly belonged to the Bishop of Norwich, but is now vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £233 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is a small but ancient building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels and some charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Neateshead St. Peter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Neatishead:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Neatishead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Neateshead (St. Peter))
Online maps of Neatishead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.