Benwick, formerly a hamlet in Doddington parish, Cambridgeshire, now an ecclesiastical parish in the Isle of Ely, 5 miles from Wimblington station on the G.E.R., and 8 SW from March, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Doddington. Population, 794. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £276 with residence. The church, a building in the Early English style, was erected in 1851. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||North Witchford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1851.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary was erected in 1854, at a cost of £2,500, the money being raised under "Gilbert's Act," and constituted an annual charge upon the living until the whole amount, with interest, is paid off: the church is an edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing a clock and one bell: the church was partially restored and the spire rebuilt in 1902, at a cost of £300: there are sittings for about 400 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Benwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Benwick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Benwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.