UK Genealogy Archives logo

Mendham, Norfolk

Historical Description

Mendham, a village and a parish in Suffolk, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Norfolk. The village stands on the river Waveney, which is crossed hy an iron bridge erected in 1874, at the boundary with Norfolk, 1 mile ESE of Harleston station on the Waveney Valley section of the O.E.R., and has a post office under Harleston; money order and telegraph office, Harieston. The parish comprises 2905 acres; population of the civil parish, 590; of the ecclesiastical, 711. There are four manors-Walsham Hall, Mend-liam, King's Hall, and Priory-the first two belong to the Holmes family, and the second two to the Adair family. The Priory is a chief residence. A Cluniac priory, a cell to Castle Acre in Norfolk, was founded here in the time of Stephen by William, son of Roger de Huntingfield; was given at the dissolution to the Brandons; and has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; gross value, £111 with residence. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with square, western, embattled tower; and contains three good brasses of the Freston family, and several mural monuments.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishMendham All Saints 
HundredEarsham 
Poor Law unionHoxne 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Mendham from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.