Matlask, a parish in Norfolk, 5½ miles SE of Holt, and 4½ NNE from Corpusty station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway. Post town, Norwich; money order and telegraph office, Aldborough. Acreage, 476; population of the civil parish, 163; of the ecclesiastical, with Plumstead, 340. Matlask Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £184. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is a plain building of flint in the Perpendicular style, and has a round tower with octangular top.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Matlask St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Erpingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Matlaske:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Matlask from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Matlask (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.