Lynford, a parish in Norfolk, on the river Wissey, 4 miles NNE of Brandon station on the G.E.R., and 7½ NW by N of Thetford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Mundford (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1500; population, 101. Lynford Hall, a splendid mansion in the Tudor style, is situated in a small park. The church was destroyed some centuries ago; there is no incumbent, and the parish is not ecclesiastically connected with any other parish. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, a building of flint and stone, which was erected in 1879.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Thetford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lynford from the following:
Online maps of Lynford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.