Barrington, a parish in Cambridgeshire, on the river Cam, 1 mile N from Foxton station on the G.E.R., and 7 miles SSW of Cambridge. It has a post office under Cambridge; telegraph office, Shepreth railway station. Acreage, 2282; population, 583. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £75 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is ancient and interesting, and there is a neat Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barrington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of marriages dates from the year 1570; baptisms, 1572; burials, 1570.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, with Perpendicular windows and timber work, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches, a chapel contiguous to the north aisle and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: the chancel, which is Decorated, retains a piscina and priest's doorway and has four windows with flowing tracery; the nave piers are Early English, dating from about 1180, but the clerestory is Perpendicular; in the tower is an aumbry with ancient oak doors: the north chapel, used as the burial place of the Bendyshe family, is of Perpendicular date: the nave is seated with open benches of the 15th century, handsomely carved, and the pulpit is enriched with Jacobean work: the font, a square basin of Norman date, stands on a Decorated base: the rood staircase is perfect: in the south aisle is a fine oak chest, bound with iron: the church plate bears the date 1569: the church was repaired during the period 1874-91 at a cost of £851, and affords 300 sittings.
There is a Congregational chapel, first founded in 1667, the present building being erected in 1856 on a site given by John Coleman esq. and holding 500 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barrington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Barrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.