Limpenhoe, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, near the Norwich and Lowestoft section of the G.E.B. and the river Yare, 1½ mile NE from Cantley station, and 11 miles ENE of Norwich. Post town and money order office Reedham (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Cantley (R.S.) Acreage, 1128; population of the civil parish, 204; of the ecclesiastical, with Southwood, 258. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Southwood, in the diocese of Norwich joint net value, £156 with residence. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles. It was rebuilt in 1881. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Limpenhoe St. Botolph|
|Poor Law union||Blofield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Limpenhoe & Southwood:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Limpenhoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Limpenhoe (St. Botolph))
Online maps of Limpenhoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.