Ashley cum Silverley, Cambridgeshire
Ashley-cum-Silverley, a parish in Cambridgeshire, on the verge of the county, at Ashley Gap, 4 miles ESE of Newmarket railway station. It has a post office, of the name of Ashley, under Newmarket; money order and telegraph office, Cheveley. Acreage, 2225; population, 455. The living is a rectory and a vicarage-Ashley rectory, Silverley vicarage-in the diocese of Ely. Patron, Lord North. The church was built in 1845.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashley cum Silverley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newmarket|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1746.
Church of England
St Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, opened in November, 1845, is a cruciform building of flint with Bath stone dressings, and consists of chancel, nave and transepts and a western turret containing one bell: the Church was restored in 1907 at a cost of £700, and affords 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashley cum Silverley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashley cum Silverley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ashley cum Silverley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.