Knapton, a parish in Norfolk, near the coast, 2¾ miles NE of North Walsham stations on the G.E.R. and E. & M. R., and 17 NNE of Norwich. It has a post office under North Walsham; money order office, Trunch; telegraph office, Mundesley. Acreage, 1490; population, 343. Knapton House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; gross value, £360. The church stands on an eminence, is an ancient edifice, with a tower, and has a superb roof, with richly carved corbels. It was restored in 1882 at a cost of £2000. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Knapton St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Erpingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knapton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Knapton (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Knapton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.