Kenninghall, a parish and a small market-town in Norfolk. The town stands 3 miles SE from Eccles station on the G.E.R., and 6 S by W from Attleborough; was the seat of Boadicea and the East Anglian kings; took thence the name of Cheninkhala or Cyninghalla ("king's house"), modernized into Kenninghall; retains vestiges of the royal castle in mounds, which are now called Kenninghall Place; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Thetford, a hotel, a weekly cattle market on Monday, and sheep and cattle fairs on 18 July and 30 Sept. The parish comprises 3669 acres; population, 1121. The chief landowners are the Duke of Norfolk and Lord Egerton of Tatton. The manor was held by the De Albinis, the Mowbrays, and the Howards, and belongs now to the Taylor family. A palace, on the site of the royal castle, and in the form of the letter H, went to the Crown on the attainder of Thomas, Duke of Norfolk; was for some time the residence of Queen Mary; was used by Queen Elizabeth as a summer-seat; and the greater part was taken down about 1650. The Gniltcross Workhouse stands 1½ mile S of the town, and has accommodation for 280 inmates. The Egerton Institute was erected in 1894. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £214 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is a large building in the Perpendicular style, has a tower of flint and stone, and bears on the buttresses of its S side the crest of the Norfolk family. It was restored in 1890-91. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. The population is chiefly engaged in agriculture. There is a large foundry for agricultural implements.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kenninghall St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Guiltcross|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Kenninghall:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kenninghall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kenninghall (St. Mary))
Online maps of Kenninghall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.