Ingham, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands 1½ mile NE of Stalham station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway, and 16 miles NE from Norwich, and has a cattle fair on Trinity Monday. It has a post office under Stalham (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Stalham. The parish comprises 1516 acres; population, 415. A college or priory for the redemption of captives was founded here in 1360 by Sir Miles Stapleton, and was given at the dissolution to the bishops of Norwich in exchange for other property. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; gross value, £226 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is a fine building of flint in the Gothic style, has a lofty tower, and contains two canopied brasses of the Stapletons, an effigies of Sir 0. Ingham of the time of Edward II., and an effigies of Eoger de Bois and Margaret his lady. After centuries of neglect the church was thoroughly restored in 1893 at an expense of about £2500. There are 17½ acres of poor's land. Ingham Hall is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ingham Holy Trinity|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Ingham:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ingham (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Ingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.