Wyrardisbury or Wraysbury, a village and a parish in Bucks, on the river Thames, and on the L. & S.W.R., 2½ miles NW of Staines, with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Staines, and a railway station. Acreage, 1679; population, 660. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Remenham House, Magna Charta Island, Wraysbury House, and Ankerwyke House are chief residences. A hunting lodge of King John was here, and a portion of it still stands, and is now a farmhouse. A Benedictine nunnery was founded on the Ankerwyke estate in the time of Henry II., and has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £175. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is a very ancient building in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower with spire. It has some ancient brasses and monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wyrardisbury St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Eton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wraysbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wyrardisbury, or Wraysbury (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wraysbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online