Houghton on the Hill, Norfolk
Houghton-on-the-Hill, a parish consisting of a single farm and a few cottages, in Norfolk, near the river Wissey, 4½ miles SE from Swaffham, and 2 SW from Holme Hale station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Swaffham. Acreage, 609; population of the civil parish, 51; of the ecclesiastical, with North Piekenham, 289. The manor belongs to the Applewhaite family. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of North Piekenham, in the diocese of Norwich. The church, dedicated to St Mary, consists of nave and chancel, with a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Houghton-on-the-Hill St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Swaffham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Houghton on the Hill:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Houghton on the Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Houghton-on-the-Hill (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.