Woughton on the Green, Buckinghamshire
Woughton-on-the Green, a parish, with a village, built round a green of about 20 acres, in Bucks, on the river Ousel and the Grand Junction Canal, 2 miles N of Fenny Stratford station, and 3 from Bletchley station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Bletchley Station; money order and telegraph office, Fenny Stratford. Acreage, 1224; population, —08. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Woughton House is pleasantly situated in a park of 43 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £125 with residence. The church is in the Decorated style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woughton-on-the-Green St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Woughton on the Green was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woughton on the Green from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Woughton-on-the-Green (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Woughton on the Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online