UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hethersett, Norfolk

Historical Description

Hethersett, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands 5¼ miles SW by W from Norwich, and has a station 1 mile S from the village on the G.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Norwich. The parish comprises 2695 acres; population, 1134. Canteloffor Cantelose manor was formerly a parish, and had a church, the site of which is still called the old churchyard. William Kett and his associates held their councils in the parish in 1549 under a large tree called the Oak of Reformation. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Canteloff, in the diocese of Norwich; joint net yearly value, £505 with residence. Patrons, Cains College, Cambridge. The church was built about 1350, and has a lofty embattled tower with small spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The Old Hall, and the modern mansions, Wood Hall, Thickthorn Hall, and Hethersett Hall, are the chief residences.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorfolk 
Ecclesiastical parishHethersett St. Remigius 
Poor Law unionHenstead 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.

Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Hethersett:


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hethersett from the following:


Online maps of Hethersett are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSouth Norfolk
Postal districtNR9
Post TownNorwich