Wolverton, a town and a parish in Bucks. The town stands on the L. & N.W.R., at the junction of the line to Newport Pagnell, 2 miles ENE of Stony Stratford, and 4 SW from Newport Pagnell. A light railway between Wolverton and Stony Stratford was opened in 1887, and the Grand Junction Canal passes through the parish. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage of the civil parish, 2288 of land and 37 of water; population, 4147; of the ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, 204; of St George the Martyr, 3234; of St Mary, 1056. The town was founded and grew up in connection with the railway, and comprises the extensive workshops of the carriage building department, with houses for the workmen. The population is increasing rapidly. There is a workman's club. The Science and Art Institute, founded in 1864 and enlarged in 1895, has a library and concert and committee rooms, and evening classes in science, art, and technical subjects are held in it. The manor belonged to a Norman family, who took the name of Wolverton, passed in the time of Edward III. to the Longuevilles, was sold in 1712 to the famous Dr. Radcliffe, and belongs now to the Radcliffe trustees. The living of the mother parish of Holy Trinity is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £56 with residence. The church, erected in 1815, is a building of stone in a quasi-Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, and an embattled western tower. It has a fine ancient marble tomb belonging to the Longueville family, and all its windows are of stained glass. The ecclesiastical parish of St George the Martyr was formed in 1846 and enlarged in 1868. The living is a vicarage of the gross value of £260 with residence. The church, erected in 1843, is a building of stone in the Early English style. It was enlarged in 1895-96. The ecclesiastical parish of St Mary was formed in 1870. The living is a perpetual curacy of the net value of £142 with residence. The church, erected in 1864, is a building of stone in the Early English style. All the livings are in the gift of the Radcliffe Trustees. There are Roman Catholic, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wolverton Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Potterspury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1864, marriages, 1867, and deaths 1871.
The parish register dates from the year 1536. The register of St. George dates from the year 1843.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, erected in 1863, is a building of stone in the Early English style and consists of apsidal chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and a turret with 2 bells: the north aisle was added in 1861: the interior was decorated in 1886: there are 300 sittings.
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The parish church of the Holy Trinity, partly re-erected in 1815, is a cruciform building of stone, in a quasi-Norman style, and consists of chancel, which is decorated in the Byzantine style, nave, transepts and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, rehung in 1902: the tower was built in 1363, and during restorations in 1902 a Saxon consecration cross was discovered in it, fitted upside down, denoting that there had been a former Saxon church existing on the same site: the lower stage of the tower forms the entrance: at the same time two arches dating from 1363 were discovered: all the windows are stained, and in the chancel is a life-sized recumbent effigy in marble of Sir Thomas Longueville bart. of Wolverton, and of Prestatyn, Flintshire, who was killed by a fall from his horse in 1685: in 1877 the church was decorated throughout in polychrome, the whole of the figures; the communion table was at the same time enlarged and a reredos of English oak erected; this is divided by cusped arches into three compartments, containing various figures of saints and angels, richly painted: in 1898 a carved oak canopy was provided for the font: in 1902-3 the church was restored and a tablet of vicars' names from the year 1261 was erected: there are 250 sittings.
The church of St. George the Martyr was erected in 1843, enlarged in 1896, and further improved and enlarged in 1903: it consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and a north-eastern tower with spire, containing one bell: in 1905 a new organ was provided: an oak screen was erected in 1922, together with an inscribed tablet, in memory of those men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; all the windows are stained, and there are sittings for about 800 persons.
The Roman Catholic Church, erected in 1865, and dedicated to St. Francis of Sales, will seat 150 persons.
he Congregational chapel, built in 1890 and enlarged in 1902 at a cost of £1,400, has sittings for 800 persons; the old chapel, built in 1867, is now used as a school room.
The Methodist chapel, built in 1892 to replace one built in 1870, has 650 sittings, and there is another, built in 1907 with 250 sittings.
Wolverton was in Potterspury Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wolverton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wolverton (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wolverton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online