Halvergate, a parish in Norfolk, 3 miles SSE fromAcle, and 3 N from Reedham station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Norwich; money order and telegraph office, Acle. Acreage, 2712; population of the civil parish, 504; of the ecclesiastical, with Tunstall, 635. Much of the land is moor and marsh. The living is a vicarage, with the vicarage of Tnnstall annexed, in the diocese of Norwich; joint yearly value, £287 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. Halvergate Hall and the Eookery are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Halvergate St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Blofield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Halvergate with Tunstall:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Halvergate from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Halvergate (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Halvergate are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.