Gunton, a parish in Norfolk, adjacent to the line of the G.E.R. from Norwich to Cromer, with a station about 2½ miles E, and 4½ S from Cromer. Post town, Norwich; money order and telegraph office, Hanworth. Acreage, 943; population of the civil parish, 58; of the ecclesiastical, with Hanworth, 269. Gunton Park, with a white brick mansion, on an eminence, amid extensive grounds and a park of about 1000 acres, is the seat of Lord Suffield. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Hanworth, in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £155 with residence. Patron, Lord Suffield. The church was rebuilt in 1742.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gunton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Erpingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Gunton with Hanworth:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gunton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gunton (St. Andrew))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.