Gunthorpe, a parish in Norfolk, 5½ miles SW from Holt, and 1½ mile from Thursford station on the Midland and G.N. Joint railway. Post town, Briningham, under Dereham; money order and telegraph office, Melton Constable. Acreage, 1114; population of the civil parish, 213; of the ecclesiastical, with Bale, 452. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Bale, in the diocese of Norwich; joint gross yearly value, £570 with residence. The church is a building of flint in the Early English style, and there is a Wesleyan chapel. Gunthorpe Hall is a mansion of red brick, standing in a park of about 100 acres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gunthorpe St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Walsingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the Marriages at Gunthorpe St. Mary, 1754-1838.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Gunthorpe:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gunthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gunthorpe (St. Mary))
Online maps of Gunthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.