Griston, a village and a parish in Norfolk, 2 miles SE by E from Watton station on the G.E.R., and 8 W by N from Attleborongh. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Watton. Acreage, 1390; population, 299. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £138 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles. There are some useful charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Griston St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Wayland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Griston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Griston (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Griston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.