Great Witchingham, Norfolk
Witchingham, Great, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, 1½ mile from Lenwade station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway. It has a post and money order office under Norwich; telegraph office, Lenwade. Acreage, 2255; population of the civil parish, 558; of the ecclesiastical, with Little Witchingham, 636. The river Wensum flows on the N of the parish. The living is a vicarage, united with Little Witchingham, in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £350 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Perpendicular style. There are Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Witchingham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Faith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Witchingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Witchingham, Great (St. Mary))
Online maps of Great Witchingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.