Great Snoring, Norfolk
Snoring, Great, a village and a parish in Norfolk, 2 miles SSE of Walsingham station on the Dereham and Wells section of the G.E.R. There is a post office under Fakenham; money order and telegraph office, Walsingham. Acreage, 1692; population of the civil parish, 543; of the ecclesiastical, with Thursford, 784. Walsingham Union Workhouse stands within this parish, and is a building of brick erected in 1837, with capacity for 300 inmates. The inmates, including the officers, numbered 135 at the taking of the census of 1891. The living is a rectory, united with Thursford, in the diocese of Norwich; joint gross value, £654 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient edifice of flint in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and a fine western tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Snoring St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Walsingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Great Snoring:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Snoring from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Snoring, Great (St. Mary))
Online maps of Great Snoring are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.