Great Plumstead, Norfolk
Plumstead, Great, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands 2½ miles E from Whitlingham Junction on the Norwich and Yarmouth section of the G.E.R., and 5 E by N of Norwich, and has a post office under Norwich; money order and telegraph office, Blofield. The parish comprises 1434 acres; population, 352. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Rosebery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £152 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church was restored in 1876, and again in 1892 after the destruction of the interior by fire. An organ was added in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Plumstead St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Blofield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Great Plumstead:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Plumstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Plumstead, Great (St. Mary))
Online maps of Great Plumstead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.