Wing, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Leighton Buzzard station on the L. & N.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leighton Buzzard. The parish includes the hamlets of Ascott, Burcot, Crafton, Littleworth, and Cottesloe, all of which are noticed separately, and comprises 5703 acres; population, 1799. The manor belongs to Lord Wantage. Wing Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £320 with residence, in the gift of Lord Wantage. The church is an ancient and interesting building of stone in mixed styles, partly Saxon and partly of the Norman, Early Decorated, and Perpendicular periods. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower, and contains a Perpendicular font, some 15th-century brasses, and some fine ancient tombs and memorials of the Danes family, and the Earls of Carnarvon and Chesterfield. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, endowed almshouses for eight poor persons, and several useful charities. An alien priory was at Ascott.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wing All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Leighton-Buzzard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1546, and is perfect from that date.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower (restored in 1925) containing a clock and 6 bells: the church dates from the 10th century, according to the Historial Monuments Commissioners; the most interesting feature in the church is its apsidal polygonal chancel, which is considerably elevated above the nave, and has beneath it a crypt of rude construction about eight feet in height: an arcade runs round the outside of the apse: the windows are much later: the nave has arcades of massive arches dividing it from the aisles, and the three westernmost are Saxon, the eastern, Early English: there are some good Early Decorated windows and a north doorway of that period, but the tower, font and south porch are Perpendicular; the base of a Norman font may be seen in the south porch: the rood screen has been partially restored: there is another screen in the south aisle: there are monuments to the family of Fynes, from 1686 to 1758, including one to Henry Fynes esq. said to be the work of Roubiliac, and several costly memorials to the Dormers, ranging from 1552 to 1695; these include in the north aisle a Palladian altar tomb and canopy to Sir Robert Dormer kt. ob. 1552, around which, until 1850, was a large pew with baluster screen; in the chancel an altar tomb of marble, with kneeling effigies and Corinthian columns supporting a cornice with a shield of arms, to Sir Robert Dormer kt. ob. 1616, and Elizabeth his wife; opposite is another altar tomb with recumbent effigies of marble, partly gilt, under a canopy, supported by columns of Sicilian jasper, with marble caps and adorned with five shields of arms, to Sir William Dormer K.B. ob. 17 May. 1575, and Dorothy (Catesby), his second wife, and below these are figures of children: there are also brasses to Harry Blacknall, 1460, and Agnes, his wife, 1489, and others; John Theede, 1622; and Thomas Cotes, porter at Ascott Hall, 1648, who is represented by a kneeling effigy, with staff lying at his feet, and a high crowned hat and key behind him; and in the church are also memorials to the families of Redman, 1699-1729; and Bell, 1721-38; to Mrs. Bridgett Neale, 1677; William Theed, gent. 1757: the church was completely restored in 1850 and again in 1893: in 1904 the chapel of St. Catherine in the south aisle was restored in memory of Mr. Charles Cotes J.P. of Burcott, and is used for daily service: the church affords 300 sittings: in the churchyard are remains of a stone cross: the lych gate was erected in memory of Rev. F. H. Tatham M.A. vicar 1890-1918.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Wing was in Leighton Buzzard Registration District from 1837 to 1935 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1935 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wing from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wing (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wing are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cAscott
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online