Whaddon, a village, a township, and a parish, in Bucks. The village stands 3½ miles N by E of Swanbourne station on the Oxford and Bletchley branch of the L. & N.W.R., 4½ S by E of Stony Stratford, and 5 from Bletchley Junction station on the L. & N.W.R. main line. It was once a market-town, gives the title of Baron to the Duke of Buckingham, and has a post office under Bletchley station; money order and telegraph office, Stony Stratford. The parish includes Nash hamlet, which is noticed separately, and comprises 3772 acres; population of the civil parish, 704; of the ecclesiastical, 398. The manor belonged to the Giffords, passed to the Pigots, the Greys, the Dukes of Buckingham, the Willises, and the Selbys, and with Whaddon Hall belongs to the Lowndes family. Whaddon Hall was visited by Queen Elizabeth in 1568, is a fine mansion of stone with a grand staircase and many spacious rooms, and is surrounded by a well-timbered deer park of about 315 acres. The remains of a Roman encampment, enclosing a space of about 5 acres, are at Whaddon Chase, and many ancient British and Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £275 with residence. The church, which stands on high ground near the Chase, is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel with N aisle or chapel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower. It has a beautiful brass of 1612, some ancient tombs and monuments, and an Early English font. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whaddon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Winslow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1580.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, standing on high ground near the Chase, is an ancient building of stone in the Norman, Decorated and other styles, consisting of chancel with north aisle or chapel, nave, with north aisle of four bays and south aisle of three bays, and an embattled western tower (restored in 1902) containing a clock, provided in 1910, and 6 bells: the chancel has an Early English piscina and sedilia, but the east window and some other features are Decorated: the nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of four arches, all of the Transition Norman period, but the walls are Decorated, each doorway retains a stoup: the font is Early English: the chapel is also Decorated, and has on the north side a monument with long epitaph to Arthur, 14th Lord Grey de Wilton K.G. who was lord deputy of Ireland during the rebellions of Desmond, Ballinglus and O'Niall; one of the commissioners who tried Mary Queen of Scots, and died 14 Oct. 1593: there is also a canopied tomb with brass effigies, in a reoess flanked by columns, to Mr. Serjeant Pigott, 1519, his two wives and children, and a very rich and curious brass with effigy, to Margaret Missenden, 1612, including a figure of her son as a skeleton, and a long, but almost illegible, inscription: there are other monuments to Thomas King, 1770, and to William, his son, 1775, and a brass recording the gift of a clock to the church in 1673 by Amy (Allen), wife of Joseph Emerton, minister: the church was extensively repaired and restored in 1889 and 1891, and the nave in 1906: in 1931 the lady chapel on the north side, was furnished with an altar and other accessories by members of the Selby-Lowndes family, as memorials: there are 220 sittings. The churchyard, the gift of Mr. Selby-Lowndes, was consecrated in 1890. In it is an Irish cross of stone erected in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
Whaddon was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whaddon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whaddon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Whaddon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online