East Beckham, Norfolk
Beckham, East, a parish in Norfolk, 4 miles WSW of Cromer, and 2¼ S from Sherringham station on the E. & M.R. Post town, Dereham; telegraph office, Holt. Acreage, 790; population, 68. The living is a sinecure in the diocese of Norwich, and the church, after being a long time in ruins. was pulled down in 1890, and its materials used to build a new church at West Beckham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Beckham St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Erpingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for East Beckham with West Beckham:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Beckham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Beckham, East (St. Helen))
Online maps of East Beckham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.