Carleton Rode, Norfolk
Carleton-Rode, a village and a parish in Norfolk, 4 miles NW from Tivetshall station on the G.E.R., and 5 SE from Attleborough, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, New Buckenham. Acreage, 2695; population, 677. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, net yearly value, £530 with residence. The church is an edifice of flint in the Perpendicular style. It was restored in 1877-83. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Carlton-Rode All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Depwade|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carleton Rode from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Carlton-Rode (All Saints))
Online maps of Carleton Rode are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.