Carleton Forehoe, Norfolk
Carleton-Forehoe, a parish in Norfolk, on the river Yare, 2 miles NE of Kimberley station on the G.E.R., and 3½ N by W of Wymondham, which is the post town and telegraph office; money order office, Barnham Broom. Acreage, 734; population of the civil parish, 130; of the ecclesiastical, 237. The living is a rectory, with Crownthorpe annexed, in the diocese of Norwich; value, £129 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberiey. The church is a small building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with a square tower, and was repaired in 1839, and reseated in 1876.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Carleton-Forehoe St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Carleton Forehoe with Crownthorpe:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carleton Forehoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Carleton-Forehoe (St. Mary))
Online maps of Carleton Forehoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.