UK Genealogy Archives logo

Carbrooke, Norfolk

Historical Description

Carbrooke, a village and a parish in Norfolk, near the river Wissey, 3 miles NE of Watton station on the G.E.R., and 8 SSW of Dereham station on the G.E.R., with a post office under Watton (S.O); money order and telegraph office, Watton (S.O.). Acreage, 3129; population, 534. Carbrooke Hall is a modern building. The chief landowners are all non-resident. A commandery of the Knights Templars was founded near the church in 1173 by Roger, Earl of Clare, and transferred soon after to the Hospitallers. The founder's tombstone is in the chancel. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £200 with residence. The church is Later English and good, consists of nave, two aisles, a chancel, and two porches, with a lofty square tower, and is fitted with open benches and a fine carved rood screen. The registers date from 1538. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels, and some small charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorfolk 
Ecclesiastical parishCarbrooke St. Peter and St. Paul 
HundredWeyland 
Poor Law unionWeyland 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.

Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Carbrooke:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1542-19011542-19011539-19011540-1901


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Carbrooke from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Carbrooke are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictBreckland
CountyNorfolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP25
Post TownThetford