UK Genealogy Archives logo

Calthorpe, Norfolk

Historical Description

Calthorpe, a village and a parish in Norfolk, on an affluent of the river Bure, 3½ miles N of Aylsham station on the G.E.R. Post town, Norwich; money order and telegraph office, Hanworth; Acreage of parish, 1091; population, 229. The manor belongs to the Earl of Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; gross yearly value, £134 with residence, in the gift of the Great Hospital, Norwich. The church is a plain but ancient building of stone.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorfolk 
Ecclesiastical parishCalthorpe St. Margaret 
HundredSouth Erpingham 
Poor Law unionAylsham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Calthorpe from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Calthorpe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictNorth Norfolk
CountyNorfolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtNR11
Post TownNorwich