Walton, a chapelry in Aylesbury parish, Bucks, now forming part of Aylesbury town. See AYLESBURY.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Walton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from 1845
The parish register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1598; marriages, 1633.
Church of England
The church of St. Michael, which stands isolated in the meadows, is a building of stone chiefly in the Decorated style, and was thoroughly restored in 1861: it consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and an embattled western tower of the Decorated period containing 2 bells: the chancel retains sedilia, and has a priest's doorway: the font is Decorated and has an octagonal basin, adorned at the base with a moulding of trefoils: there is a mural monument in the nave, with a fine medallion portrait by Joseph Nollekens, of Sir Thomas Pinfold knt. LL.D. and chancellor of the diocese of Peterborough, who died in 1701: in the chancel is a brass, with rhymed verse in English and Latin, to Elizabeth. daughter of William Pyxe, 1617: another monument, erected in 1673, by his sons, Charles and Henry, is to Bartholomew Beale, lord of this manor, who died in 1660, with medallion portraits of himself and his wife: the church affords 107 sittings.
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The parish church of the Holy Trinity, erected about 1845, is a plain structure of flint with red brick facings, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, west porch and a western tower with pinnacle containing 3 bells: in 1886-7 the church was enlarged, reseated and improved by the erection of a tower and porch: in 1919 a central aisle was formed, electric light installed and the church redecorated as a war memorial: a new organ and electrical tubular bells were added in 1938-39: the stained east window was erected in 1935 in memory of T. S. Timmis, d. 1933: there are 500 sittings.
Walton was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Walton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Walton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online