Brinton, a village and a parish in Norfolk, 2 miles from Melton Constable station on the Eastern and Midland railway, and 3½ SW by W of Holt. There is a post office under Briningham (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Melton Constable. Acreage of parish, 629; population, 116. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Thornage, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is a very ancient building, has traces of Saxon work, and has been well restored. There is a Free Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brinton St. Andrew|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Brinton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Brinton (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Brinton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.