Bowthorpe, a parish in Norfolk, on the river Yare, 3½ miles W of Norwich, which is the post town, and money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 644; population of the civil parish, 58; of the ecclesiastical, including Earlham, 302. The living is a donative, annexed to the vicarage of Earlham, in the diocese of Norwich. The church was desecrated in the 17th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bowthorpe St. Michael|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bowthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bowthorpe (St. Michael))
Online maps of Bowthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.