UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bodney, Norfolk

Historical Description

Bodney, a parish in Norfolk, on the river Wissey, 6 miles W by S of Watton station on the G.E.R., and 7 S by E of Swaffham. Post town, Hilborough (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Mundford. Acreage, 2621; population of the civil parish, 82; of the ecclesiastical, with Great Cressingham, 561. Bodney Hall was a retreat of French nuns after the first French revolution. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Great Cressingham, in the diocese of Norwich; joint net yearly value, £361. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of flint and pebbles in the Early English style, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorfolk 
Ecclesiastical parishBodney St. Mary 
HundredSouth Greenhoe 
Poor Law unionSwaffham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.

Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Bodney:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1563-18121563-18121566-18341564-1812


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bodney from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bodney are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictBreckland
CountyNorfolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP26
Post TownThetford