Upper Winchendon, Buckinghamshire
Winchendon, Over or Upper, a parish in Bucks, 7 miles W by N of Aylesbury, and 4½ from Quainton Road station on the Metropolitan railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Waddesdon, under Aylesbury. Acreage, 1202; population, 150. The manor, with all the land, belongs to Baron Rothschild. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £70. Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is an ancient building of stone, partly Norman, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a massive embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upper Winchendon St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1606.
Church of England
St. Mary Magdalen (parish church)
The church of St. Mary Magdalen is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel and nave, south porch, and a massive embattled tower of Perpendicular date with a turret on the south side, square for three stages, then octagonal and rising above the parapet, with conical capping: the tower contains 3 bells: in the chancel is a brass in good preservation to Sir John Stodeley, a former vicar, dated 1515: a brass tablet was placed in the church in 1920 to the memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the chancel is Transitional Norman, with two lancet windows on the east gable, and three lancets in each side wall: the chancel arch is pointed, but of rude construction: the nave is Norman, with a fine doorway: the north aisle dates from the 14th century, the windows having flowing tracery, and opens to the nave by two round arches and one pointed, all cut through the original wall, the piers being large and rectangular: in the north wall is a good niche: there is also a Decorated screen, and a font with octagonal basin: the old altar table and rails have been preserved: the aisles and chancel are laid with old tomb slabs: there is a 14th century pulpit: the church affords 110 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Upper Winchendon was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upper Winchendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Winchendon, Upper (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Upper Winchendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online