Blofield, a village and a parish, and head of a union in Norfolk. The village stands near the Norwich and Yarmouth section of the G.E.R. and the river Yare, 1 mile NE of Brundall railway station, and 7 E of Norwich, has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Norwich, and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 2321 acres; population, 1151. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £614 with residence. Patrons, Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. The church is a building of flint and stone in 15th century Gothic style. There are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels, and some useful charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Blofield St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Blofield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Blofield:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blofield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Blofield (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Blofield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.