Bessingham or Bassingham, Norfolk
Bessingham or Bassingham, a parish in Norfolk, 6 miles SW of Cromer, and 6 NW from Gunton station on the G.E.R. Post town, Norwich; money order and telegraph office, Aldborough. Acreage, 495; population, 125. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; gross value, £193. The church, a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, has a round tower, and was restored in 1869. The moat-yard near it is a fosse-girt tumulus of about ½ an acre. It was probably a Roman encampment, some Roman pottery having been found there in 1870. In 1884 a detached portion of this parish was added to Barningham Winter under the Divided Parishes Act.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bessingham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Erpingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Bessingham:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bessingham or Bassingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bessingham (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.