Burgh Apton or Bergh Apton, Norfolk
Burgh-Apton or Bergh-Apton, a parish in Norfolk, 4½ miles SSW of Buckingham station on the G.E.R., and 4 NW of Loddon. It has a post and money order office under Norwich; telegraph office, Loddon. Acreage, 1989; population of civil parish, 465; of ecclesiastical, with Holverstone, 503. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Holverstone, in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £350 with residence. The church is an ancient cruciform edifice of flint and stone, with a lofty tower. It was restored in 1881.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bergh-Apton St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Loddon and Clavering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Bergh Apton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burgh Apton or Bergh Apton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bergh-Apton (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.