Belaugh, a village and a parish in Norfolk, on the river Bure, 1 mile W of Wroxham station on the G.E.R., and 8½ miles NNE of Norwich, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Wroxham. Acreage, 878; population, 159. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £134 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church has a brass of 1471, an ancient circular font, an interesting screen, and a square pinnacled tower, and is very good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Belaugh St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Aylsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Belaugh:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Belaugh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Belaugh (St. Peter))
Online maps of Belaugh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.