Twyford, a parish in Buckinghamshire, 6 miles SW from Buckingham. It has a station on the L. & N.W.R. line from Bletchley to Oxford, 1¾ mile SW from the village, called Marsh Gibbon and Poundon. Post town, Buckingham; money order and telegraph office, Steeple Claydon. Acreage, 1567; population, 349. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The ecclesiastical parish includes the civil parishes of Poundon and Charndon. Population, 554. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £272 with residence, in the gift of the Rector of Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is an ancient building of stone, consisting of ohancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient tombs and monuments, including one of a Crusader, and a Norman font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Twyford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558; marriages and burials, 1561.
Church of England
The Assumption (parish church)
The church of the Assumption is an ancient edifice of stone of the 12th century, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock with chimes and 6 bells: the chancel retains sedilia, piscina and an aumbry: the south doorway is a rich example of Late Norman: the font, restored in 1877, is also Norman, and has a circular basin resting on columns: in the south aisle is an altar tomb: in a slab on the top is a brass to Thomas Gifford, 1550, and his wife; this brass is palimpsest; the Giffords held this manor from 1340 to 1550, when it passed to the Wenmans; by this tomb is the marble effigy of a knight, c. 1230: in the chancel is a brass with demi-effigy to John Everden, rector. 1413; besides a fine monument to Sir Richard Wenman, 1st Viscount Wenman, of Thame Park, Oxfordshire, d. 1640: under a Decorated canopy in the south wall is a heart tomb: the tower was rebuilt and the nave and chancel restored in 1887 at a cost of £1,448, and in 1897 the south aisle and porch were restored at a cost of £587: in 1901 an ancient oak screen between the chancel and nave was restored in commemoration of the reign of Queen Victoria: a new organ was provided in 1915: a bronze tablet on the wall of the nave records the names of those men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, and in the porch is a framed parchment bearing the names of all from this parish who served. The church affords 230 sittings: all the seating is of oak and is pre-Reformation.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Twyford was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Twyford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Twyford (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Twyford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cPounden
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online