Beeston St Lawrence, Norfolk
Beeston-St-Lawrence, a parish in Norfolk, 3 miles NE of Wroxham station on the G.E.B., and 10½ NE of Norwich, which is the post town; money order office, Neatishead; telegraph office, Wroxham. Acreage, 525; population of the civil parish, 47; of the ecclesiastical, including Ashmanhaugh, 180. Beeston Hall, the property of the Preston family, is in this parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; value, £245 with residence. The church is good, has a round tower, and contains some handsome monuments of the Prestons. The west end represents the original building, which contains indications of Saxon date.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Beeston St. Lawrence|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Beeston St Lawrence:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Beeston St Lawrence from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Beeston (St. Lawrence))
Online maps of Beeston St Lawrence are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.