Turweston, a parish on the river Ouse, in Bucks, on the Northamptonshire border of the county, 1½ mile ENE from Brackley station on the Banbury and Bletchley branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 7½ miles NW from Buckingham. It has a post office under Brackley; money order and telegraph office, Brackley. Acreage, 1295; population, 269. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Turweston House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £217. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church, erected in 1694, is an edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel with aisle, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower. It has brasses of 1450 and 1490. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Turweston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Brackley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1695; marriages and burials, 1696.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of stone in the Norman, Early English and Decorated styles, with Perpendicular insertions, and consists of chancel with aisle, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with saddle back roof, containing 2 bells: the piers and arches of the north arcade are very good Norman, with a variety of enriched capitals; those of the south arcade are Transitional tending to Early English: in the chancel is piscina and Easter Sepulchre, both of the same period: the east window is Perpendicular: the reredos, altar and marble pavement were presented by Major P. A. P. Spence in memory of his wife, Dorothy Mary, who died in 1914; on the left is a figure of the Virgin Mary holding lilies, on the right a figure of St. John the evangelist holding a cup with a dragon issuing from it - an allusion to the cup of sorrow; on the canopy are the symbols or the four Evangelists: there is a brass effigy of a priest, c. 1450, inscription lost; a small brass of Thomas Grene and his wives, Joan and Agnes, c. 1490, and a coloured monument in the north aisle to Simon Heynes, 1628, with two effigies kneeling at a desk: the church was restored in 1863, and affords 287 sittings. A shrine was erected in the churchyard in 1920, at a cost of £100, in memory of the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
Turweston was in Brackley Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Turweston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Turweston (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Turweston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online