Turville, a parish, with a village, in Bucks, on the Oxfordshire border of the county, 7 miles N from Henley station on the G.W.R., and 8½ NW from Marlow. It has a post and telegraph office of the name of Turville Heath under Henley; money order office, Henley. Acreage, 2328; population, 468. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Turville Park is an ancient mansion, very pleasantly situated in a park of about 66 acres. Turville Court is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £92 with residence. The church is a small but ancient edifice of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, N transept, S porch, and an ivy-clad tower. It has some ancient monuments and a Norman font. At Turville Heath there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Turville St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wycombe|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1582, but about 40 years are missing previous to 1660, and there are several other gaps.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small building in the Early English and Decorated styles, with a Perpendicular tower, and containing some traces of Norman work: it consists of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch, and tower, built of flint and brick and containing 4 bells: attached to the church is a private chapel belonging to the Turville Park estate: the east window was restored in 1927 in memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the chancel retains a small piscina of the Decorated period: there is a good Norman font, and the north and south doorways are also Norman, but both have an inserted Early English arch: by the tower lies a stone coffin of the 13th century: there are several mural monuments in the transept to the Sydney, East, Butlin, King and Perry families: the organ was presented by Stafford O'Brien Hoare esq, of Turville Park: the church was restored in 1722, and again in 1876 and 1900, and affords 125 sittings.
Turville was in Wycombe Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Turville from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Turville (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Turville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online