UK Genealogy Archives logo

Barningham Parva, Norfolk

Historical Description

Barningham, Little, or Barningham-Parva, a parish in Norfolk, 6 miles NNW of Aylsham, and 3 from Corpusty station on the Eastern & Midlands railway. Norwich is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Aldborough. Acreage, 1251; population, 219. A market and a fair were formerly held here, under charter of Edward I. to Walter de Berningham, lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £166, in the gift of the Earl of Orford. The church, dedicated to St Andrew, is an old building of flint. Its chancel was thoroughly restored in 1878-79. There is also a Free Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorfolk 
Ecclesiastical parishLittle Barningham St. Andrew 
HundredSouth Erpingham 
Poor Law unionAylsham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1558., in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.


Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The church of St. Andrew is a building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, restored in 1908, and containing one bell: the chancel was thoroughly restored in 1878-9, and the ruined vestry rebuilt on a larger scale; the remaining portion of the church was restored and reseated in 1896, when a new pulpit (given by the Earl of Orford), new prayer desk and font cover were provided, and the nave roof renewed and covered with Broseley tiles from designs by Mr. H. J. Green, architect, of Norwich; the whole cost of restoration being £1,000: the church affords 140 sittings.


United Methodist Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Barningham Parva from the following:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.