Towersey, a parish in Buckinghamshire, 1½ mile E of Thame station on the Wycombe, Thame, and Oxford branch of the G.W.R., and 9 miles SW from Aylesbury. It has a post office under Thame; money order and telegraph office, Thame. Acreage, 1380; population, 349. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs. to the Griffin family. Towersey Manor is a fine mansion in the Italian style, which stands in its own grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £85. The church is a small building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled pinnacled tower. It has a Saxon font, and a richly carved Jacobean pulpit. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Towersey St. Catherine|
|Poor Law union||Thame|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Towersey was in Wycombe Registration District from 1837 to 1845, Thame Registration District from 1845 to 1932, and Aylesbury Registration District from 1932 to 1933
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Towersey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Towersey (St. Catherine))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Towersey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online