Tingewick, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire. The village stands 3 miles W by S of Buckingham railway station, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Buckingham. The parish comprises 2178 acres; population, 714. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to New College, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £400 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is an ancient building in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tingewick St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1560.
Church of England
St. Mary Magdalene (parish church)
The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the nave is Early English, its arcades having plain arches on circular piers: the south side has been rebuilt in a modern imitation of the same style: on the north side is a blocked Norman doorway: the chancel and tower are Perpendicular: the chancel retains a small piscina and a curious brass to Erasmus Williams, rector of this parish, who died in 1608; it includes a demi-effigy, habited in a gown and on either side a pillar, hung with astronomical, musical and geometrical instruments and other articles; below is an epitaph, supposed to have been written by Dr. Richard Haydock, the physician: in 1867 a south porch was added, the chancel restored and the church re-seated, and in 1893 a stained east window was placed in the chancel by the Rev. John Coker M.A. rector 1855-1901, and a new oak reredos, the gift of Miss Moorsom erected: a new organ was provided in 1896: a polished brass tablet recording the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, surmounted by a stained glass window representing Christ bestowing a crown upon a True Knight who is kneeling with hands clasped upon the hilt of a sword, was placed in the church in 1920. There are 315 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tingewick was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tingewick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tingewick (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tingewick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online