Wood Green, Middlesex
Wood Green, a populous district and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of Tottenham, about 6 miles from London. It is in the N Metropolitan Postal district, and has stations on the G.N.R. main line, on the G.E.R. (Palace Gates and Green Lanes), and on the M.R. (Green Lanes). It is crossed by the New River, and is supplied with water by the New River Co. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1866. There are many good residences in the district, and a large number of artisans' dwellings, and the population, like that of most of the suburban districts of London, is rapidly increasing. There are assembly rooms and a masonic hall. The Royal Masonic Institution for boys, rebuilt in 1866, stands in Lordship Lane, and has accommodation for about 250 boys. The Fishmongers' and Poulterers' Companies have a block of twelve almshouses; the Printers' almshouses, founded in 1849, consist of dwellings for twenty-four persons, and Fuller's almshouses, founded in 1592 for the poor of the parish of Shoreditch, consist of dwellings for twelve poor women. The living is a perpetual curacy of the gross value of £300 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Tottenham. The church of St Michael and All Angels is a modern building of stone in the Early English style. The ecclesiastical district of Noel Park, an estate adjacent to the Green Lanes Station on the G.E.R., was formed in 1889. The living is a perpetual curacy of the gross value of £278, in the gift of the Bishop of London. The church, consecrated in 1889, is a building of red brick and stone in the Early English style. A fine church hall, opened in 1885, stands adjacent to the church. Other places of worship are a Presbyterian church, Baptist, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, a place of meeting for the Plymouth Brethren, and the Salvation Army barracks.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Wood Green are available from a number of sites: