Thornborough, a parish, with a large village, in Buckinghamshire, 3 miles E of Buckingham, which is the nearest railway station. It has a post office under Buckingham; money order and telegraph office, Buckingham. Acreage, 2392; population, 564. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Verney. A large barrow was opened here in 1839, and found to contain some curious Roman gold and bronze relics. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £102 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient brasses and memorials. There are Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thornborough St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates trom the year 1601.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock, with chimes made and presented by John Sikes esq. in commemoration of the Jubilee in 1887 of Queen Victoria, and 5 cast steel bells, taken in exchange for an older peal of 4 bells, two of which were dated 1610 and 1736: the tower is Decorated, and has a very good west doorway, but Perpendicular windows have been inserted: the piers and arches of the nave are also Decorated and the south porch is of like date, but nearly all the windows are Perpendicular: the east window was destroyed by a hail-storm in 1887, but has been replaced: there are brasses with effigies to William Barton and his wife, 1389, and inscriptions on brass to John Crowche, chaplain, who celebrated here for the souls of John Barton, senior and junior, 1473 ; Dorothy, successively wife of John Butcher and John Stevens, 1685; Elizabeth, wife of John Woolhed, 1696, and John Woolhed, 1707: there are also memorials to the Woolnoths and to tbe men connected with the parish who served their country in the Great War, 1914-18: the church affords 300 sittings.
Thornborough was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thornborough)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Thornborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online