West Drayton, Middlesex
West Drayton, a village and a parish in Middlesex, 3 miles S from Uxbridge, and 13 from London. There is a station on the G.W.R. main line, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Uxbridge. Acreage, 878; population, 1118. The river Colne and the Grand Junction Canal pass by this parish. Brewing is carried on, and there are flour and paper mills. There are many good villas. The living is a vicarage in The diocese of London; net value, £285. The church, dedicated to St Martin, is a building of flint and stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a massive western tower. It has some ancient brasses and some good stained windows. A Roman Catholic church stands in the centre of the village, and is a fine lofty building in the Gothic style of the 13th century. It has a very beautiful interior and some fine stained windows. There is a Baptist chapel, a building of brick with dressings of stone.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Drayton St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Uxbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Drayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Drayton, West (St. Martin))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of West Drayton are available from a number of sites: